Works great for dual-monitors under Win7, but not Win8

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:41 PM

This is a wonderful program, but in Windows 8 CP, the lower screen is off center and oversized based on the size and placement of the upper screen and overlaps heavily into the upper screen creating scrambled images.

Also, there is another program called "WallMaster Pro", is that associated in any way with you or your project?

Michael

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM

A bit more information:  It appears that in Win8 CP, WallMaster is getting the screen resolutions of the first and second monitors swapped and then generating the picture for monitor 1 at the resolution of monitor 2, and vice versa.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:28 AM

So it turns out nearly 100% of the WallMaster functionality is already included in Windows 8 for multiple displays right out of the box...  I don't doubt you were MSFT's inspiration...

-Michael

Coordinator
Feb 1, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Sorry for the late response.

The latest release should fix the bug on Windows 8. It seems that Microsoft changed the layout engine for wallpapers between Windows 7 and Windows 8. Truth be told, they simplified it significantly.

The two main features of WallMaster that I think Windows is still missing are:
  1. The ability to interdependently set a wallpaper for each monitor
  2. The CenterFit image position option which will scale down an image only if it is too big for the monitor, but otherwise leave it unchanged
I'm also not sure about Windows 8, but I know that Windows 7 wasn't as good at picking up new wallpapers as WallMaster. For example, you could set up the Windows wallpaper manager to pick a random image from a certain directory. If you added new images to that directory a day or two later Windows wouldn't automatically notice them and start displaying them. On the other hand WallMaster would pick them up the next time it tried to switch wallpapers.

I didn't mean for this to come off defensive, I just wanted to highlight the differences between the two options. The above three features are still the ones that I originally created WallMaster to solve.

Oh, and no, we are not affiliate with "WallMaster Pro". I hadn't heard of it before, so thanks for pointing it out to me.

Thanks for the feedback.